Scott takes top honors in USMTS debut at Beaver County Raceway
June 10, 2012
BEAVER, Okla. -- Johnny Scott captured the 35-lap main event Sunday night as the USMTS Casey’s Cup Series made their first visit to the Beaver County Raceway in Beaver, Okla.
Scott, who started sixth, raced by Chris Theodore on lap 3 to grab the lead, but Theodore fought back and regained the top spot with nine laps complete.
One lap later, Scott got the top spot back and set sail. Midway through the race, Rodney Sanders came up from his 20th starting spot to challenge Scott but slid off the embankment and suffered a flat tire.
Scott went unchallenged the rest of the way to collect the $2,000 winner’s share of the prize money.
Randy Timms, who won on Saturday night and finished second on Friday, claimed the runner-up spot while Chris Dawson took third after starting 21st in the field.
Mike Steensma was fourth and John Schwab finished fifth. Jon Herring, Cody Gearhart, Dan Fetters, Mike Petersilie and Thomas Tillison Jr. rounded out the top-10 finishers.
The USMTS Casey’s Cup Series is back in action this Wednesday through Saturday, June 13-16, with four nights in Wisconsin and Minnesota. On Wednesday, the USMTS Modifieds invade the Amsoil Speedway in Superior, Wis., for the first time in series history and then make another maiden voyage to the Granite City Speedway in Sauk Rapids, Minn. The weekend wraps up with two nights at the Cedar Lake Speedway near New Richmond, Wis., as part of the Masters event.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS Casey’s Cup Series
Beaver County Raceway, Beaver, Okla.
Sunday, June 10, 2012
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed, reason out (if any) and money won. The top 16 drivers in heat race passing points are locked into the “A” Main, with the top 8 re-drawing for starting positions 1-8.
BEYEA CUSTOM HEADERS HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (1) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
2. (3) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla.
3. (6) 2s Stormy Scott (R), Las Cruces, N.M.
4. (4) 23 Brandon Davis, Castle Rock, Colo.
5. (7) 71 Philip Houston, Odessa, Texas.
6. (5) 3h Ryan Heger (R), Hugoton, Kan.
7. (2) 83 Michael Shenberger (R), Elk City, Okla.
HOOKER HARNESS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (1) 5j John Schwab, Liberal, Kan.
2. (4) 85 Thomas Tillison Jr. (R), Wellston, Okla.
3. (6) 10 Mike Steensma, Luverne, Minn.
4. (8) 1m Cody Gearhart (R), Turpin, Okla.
5. (2) 1n Nicholas Link (R), Rolla, Kan.
6. (3) 1 Conner Pullen (R), Amarillo, Texas.
7. (7) 12 Jim Armstrong (R), Liberal, Kan.
8. (5) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
EIBACH SPRINGS HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (1) 51 Eddie Martin, Stillwell, Okla.
2. (2) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck (R), Waukee, Iowa.
3. (6) 5t Randy Timms, Wheatland, Okla.
4. (4) 89 Jeremy Gossett (R), Amarillo, Texas.
5. (5) 2x Gene Weaver (R), Amarillo, Texas.
6. (7) 25p Mike Petersilie, Hoisington, Kan.
7. (3) B4 Jared Baird (R), Woodward, Okla.
PBM PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #4 (8 laps):
1. (1) 26 Dan Fetters, Montour, Iowa.
2. (4) 96jr Jon Herring (R), Woodward, Okla.
3. (7) 11 Chris Theodore (R), Coweta, Okla.
4. (3) 99n Matt Newkirk (R), Amarillo, Texas.
5. (5) 7x Chris Dawson, Lubbock, Texas.
6. (6) 5* Casey Penn (R), Shreveport, La.
7. (2) A1 Ronnie Akridge (R), Beaver, Okla.
SWAN ENERGY “A” MAIN (35 laps):
1. (6) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., Hughes/ProPower, $2000.
2. (11) 5t Randy Timms, Wheatland, Okla., Hughes/Geddes, $1500.
3. (21) 7x Chris Dawson, Lubbock, Texas, Shaw/Fletcher, $1100.
4. (10) 10 Mike Steensma, Luverne, Minn., Hughes/Sput’s, $900.
5. (1) 5j John Schwab, Liberal, Kan., Hughes/Cline, $800.
6. (3) 96jr Jon Herring (R), Woodward, Okla., Hughes/Sput’s, $600.
7. (13) 1m Cody Gearhart (R), Turpin, Okla., Shaw/, $550.
8. (8) 26 Dan Fetters, Montour, Iowa, Sidebiter/KSE, $600.
9. (18) 25p Mike Petersilie, Hoisington, Kan., GRT/AEM, $450.
10. (5) 85 Thomas Tillison Jr. (R), Wellston, Okla., Hughes/Mullins, $500.
11. (2) 11 Chris Theodore (R), Coweta, Okla., Boyd/STK, $450.
12. (24) 1 Conner Pullen (R), Amarillo, Texas, Hoffman/Carroll’s, $300.
13. (22) 1n Nicholas Link (R), Rolla, Kan., Shaw/Guymon, $275.
14. (17) 71 Philip Houston, Odessa, Texas, Hughes/Geddes, $375.
15. (20) 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, Hughes/Geddes, $350.
16. (4) 20r Bryan Rowland, Woodward, Okla., Hughes/ProPower, $200.
17. (12) 22d Daniel Hilsabeck (R), Waukee, Iowa, GRT/Mullins, $300.
18. (23) 5* Casey Penn (R), Shreveport, La., Hughes/Geddes, $300.
19. (15) 89 Jeremy Gossett (R), Amarillo, Texas, Hughes/Carroll’s, $250.
20. (19) 2x Gene Weaver (R), Amarillo, Texas, GRT/Yeoman, $250.
21. (14) 23 Brandon Davis, Castle Rock, Colo., Hughes/Geddes, $300.
22. (9) 2s Stormy Scott (R), Las Cruces, N.M., GRT/Yeoman, $300.
23. (16) 99n Matt Newkirk (R), Amarillo, Texas, Shaw/Willie, $250.
24. (7) 51 Eddie Martin, Stillwell, Okla., Hughes/Dunsworth, $250.
(R) = Rookie of the Year contender.
Integra Lap Leaders: Theodore 1-2, J. Scott 3-8, Theodore 9, J. Scott 10-35.
Total Laps Led: J. Scott 32, Theodore 3.
Mesilla Valley Transportation Hard Charger: Dawson (started 21st, finished 3rd).
Dominator Race Products Hard Luck: Sanders.
Next Race: June 13, Amsoil Speedway, Superior, Wis.
USMTS Casey’s Cup Series Points: Sanders 100, S. Scott 85, Ryan Gustin 83, J. Scott 69, Rowland 63, Jason Hughes 55, Terry Phillips 46, Hilsabeck 44, Kelly Shryock 42, Timms 41.
Rookie of the Year Points: S. Scott 1761, Hilsabeck 1062, Penn 866, Ron Keith 762, Tillison 627.
COMP Cams Engine Builder of the Year Points: Mullins 190, Geddes 189, ProPower 161, Sput’s 141, Yeoman 119.
Tiger Rear Ends Manufacturers Championship Points: Hughes 235, GRT 214, Skyrocket 159, Shaw 78, TRE 74.
AERO Race Wheels – Martin.
American Racer – Fetters.
Beyea Custom Headers – J. Scott.
Dominator Race Products – Sanders.
Eibach Springs – Martin.
Forty9Designs.com – Steensma, Petersilie.
Hooker Harness – Schwab.
Integra Racing Shocks & Springs – J. Scott.
KEVKO Oil Pans & Components – Petersilie.
KSE Racing Products – Fetters.
Marsh Racing Wheels – Newkirk.
Nitroquest – not awarded.
Mesilla Valley Transportation – Dawson.
PBM Performance Products – Fetters.
R2C Performance Products – Timms.
Real Racing Wheels – not awarded.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS TITLE SPONSORS: Casey’s General Stores, Swan Energy.
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, Awesome Race Suits, Cheetos, Dominator Race Products, Intercomp, KEVKO Oil Pans & Components, New Vision Graphics, Nitroquest, RACEceiver, SLAP Energy, Snickers.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arbor Masters, Arnold Motor Supply, ASi Racewear, Beebe Heating & Air Conditioning, BRODIX Cylinder Heads, Dirthead.com, DirtKnights.com, Erson Cams, Farm Boy BBQ Sauce, Intensitee Custom Racewear, Mesilla Valley Transportation, O’Brien Enterprises, Olympic Fire Protection, Ramirez Motorsports, Road Runner Trucking, Ruter Farms, Sybesma Graphics, Yeager Machine.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: AERO Race Wheels, AFCO Racing Products, Beyea Custom Headers, COMP Cams, CPD Racing Tools, Eibach Springs, Fast Shafts, Forty9Designs.com, Genesis Shocks, Hooker Harness, Integra Racing Shocks & Springs, Keyser Manufacturing, KSE Racing Products, Marsh Racing Wheels, PBM Performance Products, Quarter Master, Real Racing Wheels, Tiger Rear Ends.