Sibling’s sorrow sends Stormy Scott to Lakeside Speedway winners circle
Chasing his twin brother around the bottom of the race track Friday night, Stormy Scott inherited the lead after lapped traffic doomed Johnny Scott with four laps to go, netting Stormy his first USMTS win of the season and first at the Lakeside Speedway.
The first two-thirds of the 30-lap main event at the historic half-mile in Kansas City was a barn-burner between Johnny Scott and Thursday night’s winner, Ricky Thornton Jr.
Thornton started on the pole but it was Johnny Scott that took command from the start, leading the first nine laps before Thornton zoomed around the outside in lapped traffic to lead the tenth lap.
One of the last drivers to still have faith in the treacherous top side of the racing surface, Thornton saw his lead go away six laps later when Johnny Scott scooted past.
As the bottom became the dominant line, Stormy Scott snuck underneath Thornton on lap 20 and then settled in behind Johnny Scott for the final ten-lap run to the checkered flag.
A flurry of back-markers using the same groove caused Johnny Scott to back off momentarily which resulted in contact that sent him spinning into the infield and bringing out the race’s first and only caution with just four laps remaining.
Stormy Scott was untouchable for the final two-mile sprint to the finish and he walked away with a $3,000 paycheck and his 38th career USMTS triumph.
Thornton held on for the runner-up finish. R.C. Whitwell, Zack VanderBeek and Rodney Sanders rounded out the top five. Sixth through tenth went to Tim Karrick, Dereck Ramirez, Terry Phillips, Chase Junghans and former USRA B-Mod national champ Chad Clancy in his career-first USMTS start.
Cade Dillard came into the event as the points leader in the MSD Central Region presented Summit Racing Equipment and was running fourth on the final lap when his right rear tire went flat. He limped across the finish line in 12th.
Thornton will be the points leader when the curtain closes on this three-race weekend Saturday during the 17th trip in 15 years for the USMTS to the I-35 Speedway in Winston, Mo.
Eleven different drivers have won main events held here including Kelly Shryock, John Allen, John Van Den Berg, Ryan Gustin, Scott Drake, Mark Noble, Johnny Scott, Ron Ver Beek, Stormy Scott, Rodney Sanders and Jason Hughes.
The Iron Man Challenge featuring Holley USRA Stock Cars and Out-Pace USRA B-Mods will share the spotlight, and the four-division card will be rounded out by E-Mods.
Pit gates open at 4 p.m., grandstands open at 5 and the first heat race starts at 7:30. Tickets are $20, youth ages 12-16 are $10 and kids ages 11 and under get in for free. Pit passes are $35.
Fans can pick up $2-off discount coupon at Casey’s General Stores locations in Albany, Bethany, Braymer, Cameron, Chillicothe, Gallatin, Hamilton, King City, Lathrop, Lawson, Maysville, Polo and Trenton. To find the location nearest you, visit www.caseys.com.
The I-35 Speedway is a semi-banked 3/8-mile dirt oval located 10 miles north of Cameron on SR 6 (Exit 64). For more information, call 660-749-5317 or check out their website at www.i-35speedway.net.
To learn more about the United States Modified Touring Series, visit www.usmts.com online or call 515-832-7944. You can also like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/usmts, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/usmts and Instagram at www.instagram.com/usmts or subscribe to our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/usmtstv. Keep up to speed with everything USMTS by joining our email list at www.usmts.com/subscribe.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
United States Modified Touring Series
USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by S&S Fishing & Rental – MSD Central Region presented Summit Racing Equipment
6th Annual USMTS “Rumble on the River”
Lakeside Speedway, Kansas City, Kan.
Friday, April 21, 2017
Showing finishing position, starting position in parentheses, car number, driver, hometown, chassis/engine builder, laps completed and money won.
SIMPSON PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #1 (8 laps):
1. (3) 21 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas.
2. (2) 2s Stormy Scott, Cameron, Mo.
3. (5) 85D Mark Dotson, Cameron, Mo.
4. (7) 1k Tim Karrick, Basehor, Kan.
5. (6) 21c Chad Clancy (R), Polo, Mo.
6. (1) 8C Chris Clark (R), Jackson, Wyo.
7. (9) 69n Jim Peeler, Trimble, Mo.
8. (4) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo.
9. (8) 34 Mark Schafman, Edwardsville, Kan.
FAST SHAFTS HEAT RACE #2 (8 laps):
1. (2) 96 R.C. Whitwell (R), Tucson, Ariz.
2. (3) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa.
3. (1) 18 Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan.
4. (8) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M.
5. (9) 3B Nic Bidinger, Perry, Kan.
6. (6) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla.
7. (7) 5K Kyle Prauner (R), Norfolk, Neb.
8. (5) 23 Adam Kates (R), Tonganoxie, Kan.
9. (4) 3F Cole Ferguson (R), Dexter, Iowa.
EDELBROCK HEAT RACE #3 (8 laps):
1. (2) 20RT Ricky Thornton Jr., Chandler, Ariz.
2. (4) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La.
3. (3) 4w Tyler Wolff (R), Fayetteville, Ark.
4. (1) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla.
5. (7) 87 Darron Fuqua, Mayetta, Kan.
6. (5) 81 Mike Densberger, Lincoln, Neb.
7. (8) 68 Kerry Davis, Parkville, Mo.
8. (6) 21t Lance Town, Wellsville, Kan.
REAL RACING WHEELS “B” MAIN (10 laps, all advance):
1. (6) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo.
2. (1) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla.
3. (4) 68 Kerry Davis, Parkville, Mo.
4. (5) 5K Kyle Prauner (R), Norfolk, Neb.
5. (9) 34 Mark Schafman, Edwardsville, Kan.
6. (2) 81 Mike Densberger, Lincoln, Neb.
7. (8) 21t Lance Town, Wellsville, Kan.
8. (7) 23 Adam Kates (R), Tonganoxie, Kan.
9. (3) 69n Jim Peeler, Trimble, Mo.
10. (10) 3F Cole Ferguson (R), Dexter, Iowa.
CASEY’S GENERAL STORES "A" MAIN (30 laps):
1. (6) 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., GRT/Mullins, 30, $3000.
2. (1) 20RT Ricky Thornton Jr., Chandler, Ariz., Hughes/Mullins, 30, $1700.
3. (8) 96 R.C. Whitwell (R), Tucson, Ariz., MBCustom/Hatfield, 30, $1200.
4. (5) 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa, VanderBuilt/Sput’s, 30, $1000.
5. (4) 21 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas, MBCustom/Hatfield, 30, $900.
6. (9) 1k Tim Karrick, Basehor, Kan., Skyrocket/Millert, 30, $700.
7. (13) 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla., LG2/Cornett, 30, $700.
8. (17) 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo., GRT/Durham, 30, $650.
9. (10) 18 Chase Junghans, Manhattan, Kan., MBCustom/Sput’s, 30, $600.
10. (15) 21c Chad Clancy (R), Polo, Mo., Rage/KSE, 30, $450.
11. (12) 3B Nic Bidinger, Perry, Kan., GRT/Siebert, 30, $500.
12. (7) 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La., MBCustom/ASI, 30, $450.
14. (20) 5K Kyle Prauner (R), Norfolk, Neb., Razor/GMPP, 30, $400.
15. (18) 91 Joe Duvall, Claremore, Okla., MBCustom/Hatfield, 30, $400.
15. (11) 4w Tyler Wolff (R), Fayetteville, Ark., MBCustom/Hatfield, 30, $375.
16. (21) 34 Mark Schafman, Edwardsville, Kan., GRT/Burlington, 30, $275.
17. (22) 81 Mike Densberger, Lincoln, Neb., Jet/Speedway, 30, $400.
18. (23) 21t Lance Town, Wellsville, Kan., MBCustom/Driskell, 30, $300.
19. (24) 23 Adam Kates (R), Tonganoxie, Kan., LG2/Speedway, 30, $300.
20. (26) 3F Cole Ferguson (R), Dexter, Iowa, DirtHustler/Mullins, 30, $400.
21. (16) 8C Chris Clark (R), Jackson, Wyo., GRT/GMPP, 28, $300.
22. (25) 69n Jim Peeler, Trimble, Mo., Shocker/KSE, 28, $250.
23. (2) 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M., GRT/Durham, 26, $300.
24. (19) 68 Kerry Davis, Parkville, Mo., GRT/Sput’s, 25, $250.
25. (3) 85D Mark Dotson, Cameron, Mo., MBCustom/Hatfield, 18, $300.
26. (14) 87 Darron Fuqua, Mayetta, Kan., GRT/GMPP, 13, $300.
(R) = Rookie of the Year contender.
Lap Leaders: J. Scott 1-9, Thornton 10-15, J. Scott 16-26, S. Scott 27-30.
Total Laps Led: J. Scott 20, Thornton 6, S. Scott 4.
Margin of Victory: 1.425 seconds.
Time of Race: 14 minutes, 32.770 seconds (1 caution).
Provisional Starters: Peeler, Ferguson.
KSE Racing Products Hard Charger: Phillips (started 17th, finished 8th).
Next Race: Saturday, April 22, I-35 Speedway, Winston, Mo.
MSD Central Region Points: Thornton 247, Dillard 244, VanderBeek 240, S. Scott 226, J. Scott 226, Duvall 217, Ramirez 217, Sanders 206, Densberger 186, Fuqua 185.
Grant Junghans Rookie of the Year Points: Whitwell 1134, Wolff 1098, Travis Saurer 1075, Billy Vogel 929, Kates 777.
Engine Builder of the Year Points: Mullins 161, Durham 139, ASI 127, Sput’s 114, Hatfield 96.
Manufacturers Championship Points: Hughes 163, MBCustoms 159, GRT 146, VanderBuilt 115, LG2 114.
Allstar Performance – Phillips.
Beyea Custom Headers – J. Scott.
BigDeal Car Care – S. Scott.
BSB Manufacturing – Clark.
Casey’s General Stores – Jake Richards.
Chix Gear Racewear – J. Scott.
Day Motor Sports – Dotson, Fuqua.
Deatherage Opticians – J. Scott.
Dickson Racing Shocks – Wolff.
E3 Spark Plugs – Whitwell.
Edelbrock – Thornton.
Fast Shafts – Whitwell.
Forty9Designs.com – Prauner, Kates.
Fuel Safe Racing Cells – Karrick.
GRT Race Cars – Davis.
Hooker Custom Harness – Duvall.
Integra Shocks & Springs – Town.
Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts – Densberger.
Keyser Manufacturing – Clancy.
KSE Racing Products – Phillips.
Out-Pace Racing Products – Schafman.
QA1 – Thornton.
Simpson Performance Products – Sanders.
Sweet Manufacturing – Peeler.
Sybesma Graphics – Thornton.
Tire Demon – Bidinger.
VP Racing Fuels – S. Scott.
Wehrs Machine & Racing Products – S. Scott.
Wilwood Engineering – Ramirez.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
USMTS OFFICIAL SPONSORS: American Racer Racing Tires, Argo Manufacturing, Casey’s General Stores, Chix Gear Racewear, CP-Carrillo, Deatherage Opticians, Fast Shafts, Intercomp, KSE Racing Products, Leaf Racewear & Safety Equipment, Malvern Bank, MSD, Pace Performance, RacerWebsite.com, RacinDirt.com, RacingJunk.com, S&S Fishing & Rental, Summit Racing Equipment, The Joie of Seating, VP Racing Fuels.
USMTS PARTICIPATING SPONSORS: Arizona Sport Shirts, ASi Racewear, Brodix Cylinder Heads, Duvall Electric, ElbowsUp.com, Mesilla Valley Transportation, Oreo, Production Jars, Rancho Milagro Racing, RHRSwag.com, YouDirt.com.
USMTS CONTINGENCY SPONSORS: 905 Ink, AFCO Racing Products, Allstar Performance, Beyea Custom Headers, BigDeal Car Care, BSB Manufacturing, Day Motor Sports, Dickson Racing Shocks, E3 Spark Plugs, Edelbrock, FK Rod Ends, Forty9 Designs, Fuel Safe, Genesis Racing Shocks, GRT Race Cars, Holley Performance Products, Hooker Custom Harness, Integra Shocks & Springs, Jerovetz Motorsports Racing Parts, Keyser Manufacturing, Out-Pace Racing Products, QA1 Precision Products, Real Racing Wheels, Simpson Performance Products, Sweet Manufacturing, Sybesma Graphics, Tire Demon, Wehrs Machine & Race Products, Wilwood Disc Brakes.